SUSSEX OUTREACH SERVICES – IMMEDIATE JOB OPENING
Sussex Outreach Services - Office Assistant Job Description
Background- Sussex Outreach Services is a small non-profit organization serving the Hamilton School District. We serve approximately 450 families per year. Our biggest outreach is our Food Pantry. The Food Pantry is open three times per week for clients to shop and they can shop twice per month. We also offer clothing and housewares to our clients at the pantry, at no cost. Many other programs and services are offered to our registered clients. Volunteers work weekdays from 9am to 12pm sorting and storing donations.
Job Title – Office Assistant – 20 hours a week. Hours are: Monday 9-12:30pm, Wednesday 9-3pm, Thursday 9-12:30pm, Friday 9-12:30pm and Saturday 9-12:30pm. Office Assistant performs office support functions including greeting visitors, answering phones, data entry, filing, volunteer coordination, general office procedures, and supporting other staff. This position requires sharp communication, office technology, math, and grammar skills. The Office Assistant reports directly to the Office Manager, along with working closely with Executive Director.
- Greets and assists donors, volunteers and clients, in person, by telephone or other methods to provide information, answer questions or direct to appropriate staff.
- Prepares a variety of routine documents, correspondence, office forms; designs, formats, proofreads, and edits letters, memos, reports, brochures, newsletters, and other materials for the organization.
- Performs data entry, maintains and updates electronic files and databases.
- Monitors, maintains and orders office supplies, maintains equipment, and maintains repair and maintenance records on equipment.
- Organizes and maintains files and file systems, scans documents, records and reports, copies materials, files paper and/or electronic information and distributes documents as necessary.
- Update and organize bulletin boards, including relevant resources for clients.
- Receives, sorts, processes and distributes incoming mail and prepares and processes outgoing mail.
- Coordinates volunteers, including volunteer appreciation, scheduling, verification, thank you notes, and more.
- Keeps Facebook and website up to date.
- Handles confidential or sensitive information and documents.
- Follows and adheres to SOS policies and procedures both formal and informal.
- Provides support to Office Manager and Executive Director.
- Attends organization meetings.
- Performs other duties as apparent or assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Ability to adapt to new policies, procedures, programs, and environment.
- Ability to follow and understand oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to make minor decisions using standardized practices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, professional, positive and respectful working relationships and communications internally, with fellow staff, clients, volunteers, donors, outside agencies and the general public.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team and deal with people in an effective, professional and timely manner. Be flexible and contribute to team effort.
- Ability to plan, prepare and execute special projects as needed with volunteers and other staff (i.e. Post Office Food Drive, Boy Scout Food Drive, Christmas, etc.).
- Possess strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize.
- Detail oriented with the ability to multi-task.
- Must have good writing and public speaking skills, with experience in both.
- Must be willing to cooperate, collaborate and work as a team with others on projects.
- Must possess proficient computer skills, including Word, Excel, Publisher, Google Calendar, Email and Internet.
- Professionally represent Sussex Outreach in public, even when not working
- This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of the position. Other job related responsibilities and tasks may be assigned.
- Three years’ experience as an Office Assistant or similar job
- Experience working with and/or supervising volunteers.
- Knowledge of Sussex and the surrounding communities
- High School diploma plus some college courses, preferred
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds
This is an hourly position. Please provide three professional references.
Email resume and references to Jennifer Waltz, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sussex Outreach Services (SOS) is the community outreach organization of the Cooperating Churches of Sussex. SOS serves the Hamilton School District through the Food Pantry and the Resource Center. SOS provides food, clothing, housewares, counseling, educational and preventative health programs, referrals to other organizations and emergency assistance for housing and energy crisis. It is our mission to meet the immediate and long term needs of the individual and families in the Hamilton School District with a variety of resources. SOS also builds community awareness and volunteer participation.